Saturday, November 6, 2010

[Squashed] Roasted Butternut Squash

Tallahassee has finally been overcome by some bone-chilling, fall appropriate temperatures. And by that I mean that it has finally gotten down to 60 degrees. I've definitely acclimated, because the other day it was around 60 degrees and raining and I was whining and proclaiming that I was going to freeze to death. The Coloradan in me is disgusted - when it's 60 degrees in Colorado people sometimes get excited that it's finally/still appropriate to wear flip flops and mini skirts. But I am excited to feel less fraudulent about making fall food.
Some of the best cold weather food is of the high calorie, comfort variety. But this is a great dish for fall that packs only 40 calories per half cup and packed with vitamins A and C. Tonight I made butternut squash for the first time, and it was super easy and delicious.

[Squashed] Roasted Butternut Squash

Ok, maybe I could have called this "mashed" butternut squash, but that just didn't seem as fun.

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash
2 tbsps butter or substitute (I used low fat Fleischmans)
1.5 tbsps brown sugar
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Cinnamon, to taste

The squash, post butter and brown sugar rub down.

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

1. Wash the squash and cut it in half. I had to use my santoku knife, but a cleaver or something similar would be good.
2. Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff - I used a fork, but I bet a grapefruit knife would really do it.
3. If the squash won't sit evenly, cut a piece off of the bottom and it will be stable.
4. Spread softened butter or substitute on each half. Liberally add salt and pepper, then rub 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
5. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until slightly browned and fork tender.
6. Scoop out the flesh into a medium sized bowl. Use a potato masher to get rid of any chunks and flavor with salt, pepper and cinnamon to taste.

Post-roasing, slightly browned a tender. Yum, yum.

The final product. Verdict: healthy and delicious

2 comments:

  1. I love butternut squash!! It is so delicious! I'm glad you guys are getting "cooler temperatures". I know how you feel about getting "cold" and then being disgusted at how when you lived in CO, 60 degrees would never be cold. Today it was in the high 50's when I ran and I ran in pants instead of shorts.
    Anyway, you should check out this this squash recipe. I make it occasionally and we love it so much we never have leftovers:
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pasta_with_butternut_parmesan_sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that recipe - I have some leftovers and I really want to make this! You're definitely my go-to squash person now :)

    ReplyDelete