Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lasagna Rolls

I made lasagna once, probably about four years ago. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it was probably one of the worst things I have ever made. So, I haven't made it since then. However, I have been taking baby steps and these lasagna rolls are always easy and delicious. I'm sure I'll try to make edible lasagna again someday, but until then these will do. I have received the male stamp of approval several times on this, even though it's meatless. I have added sauteed mushrooms or onions and I'm sure some ground beef would be great, but honestly these are delicious as is. I adapted this from a recipe from Katie Lee Joel.



Lasagna Rolls

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
9 lasagna noodles
1 pound ricotta cheese
1 10-ounce package chopped frozen spinach, thawed (with excess water squeezed out)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
4 cups tomato sauce

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add one teaspoon of the olive oil. Add noodles and cook for seven to eight minutes until al dente. While noodles are cooking you may want to move them around a bit to prevent sticking. Tongs are probably the best way to remove them from the water.
2. Mix ricotta, spinach, mozzarella, spices, the egg and the remaining oil in a bowl.
3. Spread one cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
4. Spread each noodle with some of the spinach ricotta mixture and roll. Place seam side down into the baking dish. Once finished, top the lasagna rolls with enough of the remaining sauce to cover. Top with parmesan cheese (or Mozzarella, which I used to cut down on the amount of cheese I had to buy).
5. Bake for 20 minutes and serve with a crisp salad and crusty bread.





No comments:

Post a Comment